Birds are abundant and can be observed and heard almost all day and night.
Hacienda Verde is inside an Important Bird Area - IBA (EC107) where the last Turquoise-throated Puffleg (Eriocnemis godini) was collected 150 years ago without any recent records.
It is also included within the Endemic Bird Area (EBAs) 042 - Northern Central Andes.
Good place to find the Giant Hummingbird (Patagona gigas) and the Purple Collared Woodstar (Myrtis fanny).
Birdwatching is offered in our Day Tours and Educational Visits.
Click any image to start slideshow
Complete Bird Species List (PDF)
Common Bird Species:
- Raptors as the Harris's Hawk (Parabuteo unicinctus), American Kestrel (Falco sparverius), Black-chested buzzard-eagle (Geranoaetus melanoleucus)
- Hummingbirds as Sparkling violetear (Colibri coruscans), Rufous-tailed hummingbird (Amazilia tzacatl), Purple collared woodstar (Myrtis fanny) and Giant hummingbird (Patagonia gigas)
- Crimson mantled Woodpecker (Colaptes rivolii)
- Vermillion flycatcher (Pyrocephalus rubinus)
- Tanagers as the Blue-and-yellow tanager (Pipraeidea bonariensis), Blue-gray tanager (Thraupis episcopus)and Scrub tanager (Tangara vitriolina)
- Southern yellow-grossbeak (Pheucticus chrysogaster)
- Rufous collared sparrow (Zonotrichia capensis)
- Ringed kingfisher (Megaceryle torquata)
- And others
Rare Bird Species
- Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus)
- Buff-fronted owl (Aegolius harrisii)
- Golden rumped euphonia (Euphonia cyanocephala)
- Andean Siskin (Carduelis spinescens)
- Migratory birds such as the Summer tanager (Piranga rubra) and Black-billed Cockoo